Wednesday, February 10, 2010

It’s the little things…

Walking around Dublin doesn’t really make it seem like I’m in another country. I might as well just be in another state in the US where they talk funny. This is until you really try to live here. There are a bunch of little things that are different enough to make you feel like you’re not anywhere near home anymore. First of all, milk. Their milk comes in one and two liter bottles and is only offered in skim, semi-skim, and whole. I have been dying for some waffles or pancakes with syrup, but I have yet to find them anywhere. When I asked my teacher why they didn’t have this kind of breakfast food he laughed and said, “Well that’s Canadian!” as if it is a crazy thought that I might be able to get some pancakes here. I’ve also noticed how Ireland isn’t really big on re-sealable packaging. Everything from bread to ham goes bad so much faster here because of the poor packaging design. But to make up for this I feel like everything comes in smaller portions. Speaking of ham, they are crazy about ham here. I went into a grocery store and looked in the sandwich meat isle, the entire isle was filled with different varieties of ham. Also, if you get bacon on anything here, its really just ham that’s been cooked in a pan. I ordered a bacon burger at a restaurant and when it came out there was just a huge slice of ham sitting on my burger. Don’t get me wrong, I love ham, it’s just something to get used to. Hmm… what else is different here? Every store seems to open late and close early. You can’t shop after 7:00pm on any day of the week. Oh! They put corn on pizza! Those crazy Irish people…

But! There are some things that I’ve found here that I will definitely miss in the US. Mainly “Curly Wurlys”, which are these wavy caramel bars that are covered in chocolate and also Cadbury Caramel bars, which are like the Cadbury caramel eggs just in bar form. Also, I am an Oreo connoisseur and can tell that the Oreos here are more sugary and therefore, more delicious. Another food item that I’ve become addicted to is Aero Hot Chocolate, which bubbles when you make it. If you couldn’t tell, I love chocolate.

I booked my flight to Rhodes, Greece. It’s a beautiful sandy island that is an hour flight from Athens. On the way back we are going to stop in London and stay for two nights there. I’m so happy that I finally have spring break planned out.

The group Northern Ireland trip is this coming weekend, which I am very excited about. Hopefully I’ll see more farms and sheep!

No comments:

Post a Comment